CameTooFar

A Nerd's False Positive.

WCF - The requested content appears to be script and will not be served by the static file handler in IIS7


Oops! That was a surprise when I hosted my first WCF sample in IIS7, on my Windows 7 machine. I’s blown out with an error

HTTP Error 404.17 - Not Found
The requested content appears to be script and will not be served by the static file handler

The error occurred since the Service Model is not registered in my machine, which handles the WCF service request. However, you can install it manually from the command line:

wcf servicemodel

.NET 3.0

Location: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation
Command Line: ServiceModelReg.exe –i

Happy Web Servicing!

Hope this helped. Thanks

The database DLL ‘crdb_dao.dll’ could not be loaded

 

Last day one of my friend pinged me to troubleshoot an Exception thrown while loading the Crystal Report in his Windows Form Application. The Exception is as follows:

Failed to load Database information Details: The database DLL ‘crdb_doa.dll’ could not be loaded.
Error in File
C:\User\<User>\AppData\Local\Temp\<some_random_number>.rpt:
Failed to load database information.

Below is a preview of the Exception:

crdb_doa.dll_x86error

So, What is crdb_dao.dll ?

crdb_doa.dll is a Crystal Reports database driver for Microsoft Data Access Objects. This driver allows the Crystal Report Viewer to connect to the Microsoft Access Objects (i.e.; MS Access 2003) database.

Then, What caused the Exception?

The deployed environment was like this:

  1. OS Version : x64 (64-bit) Windows 7
  2. Database    : MS Access 2003
  3. Build Type : Any CPU

Here, the Project was build to run on Any CPU, i.e., for both x86 (32-bit) and x64 (64-bit) machine.

Unfortunately, The MS Access 2003 uses Jet Database Engine 4.0 driver, which has been deprecated and is only available in x86 (32-bit) flavor. That means, x64 (64-bit) flavor is not available. Another tip is, the Jet Database Engine 4.0 has not undergone any major revision since 2000. That means, the driver comes with MS Access 2003 is same as what we’ve in year 2000. Take a look at Data Access Technologies and Road Map in MSDN for more details.

Well, How can I Solve?

The solution is straight forward.

  1. Open your existing Project Solution in Visual Studio
  2. Set the Build mode to Release
  3. Change the CPU Configuration from Any CPU to x86 
  4. Re-Build the Project
  5. That’s it. Now, Deploy the application

You are done!

Failed with 0x80070643 – Fatal Error during installation


That was a surprise, when the standalone installer threw an error" – “Failed with 0x80070643 – Fatal Error during installation”, while installing Visual Studio 2008 SP1 standalone ISO installer.

I preferred an ISO installer, due to internet connectivity reason.

Note: Before doing anything, take time to run Microsoft Visual Studio Patch removal tool. It will remove all the pre-releases and make your PC ready for an SP1 installation.

I got wired-up on the first install itself, on my Vista Ultimate machine. The installer threw an error, when it try to install ‘..NET Framework SP1’ , as “Failed with 0x80070643 – Fatal Error during installation”.

Fatal_Error_Log 

A thorough Binging made it clear that you can easily solve the issue by installing the web-installer version of VS2008 SP1. I finally paused at one blog post and took time to read the article. I must say, its beautifully explained. But, the scenario was entirely different from mine. However, as a last hope, I tried the solution mentioned in that post.

Charmingly! (as he said), it worked.

Solution:

Run the VS 2008 SP1 installer from the command-prompt, by appending a ‘/log’ switch along with a target-location for the log file.

cmd_run

In the figure, I performed installation, by collecting the installation-logs into a sample-file 'sp1_log.txt' in E:\ drive. If you ask me, what I'd done with this log, I'll turn around and start walking away.

I don't know what's the miracle with ‘/log’ switch. Anyway, its working and I'm happy.

Please note , It takes some time to install the SP1 package, when installed using ‘/log’ switch. So, have patience. :)