Story by Abhilash on Umbraco


Recently, I have moved my website to new service provider. I am managing the source code in Git repository of Visual Studio Online. The biggest advantage I get is I can do automated build (CI/CD) or can go for one-click publishing from Visual Studio editor.

The transition to new server was very smooth but deployment was not that easy at all. Everytime I do a web publish from Visual Studio, I start getting error - "This site can't be reached - The web page at might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address. ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED".

This was really annoying since the service provider has no clue on what was happening. Though, I searched for a solution, nothing really worked as expected. After trying out various combination of configuration settings, I finally figured out the reason. All your have to do is to disabe urlCompression in WebServer config tag in web.config (shown below).

    <urlCompression doDynamicCompression="false" doStaticCompression="false" dynamicCompressionBeforeCache="false" />

Hope this helps.


comments powered by Disqus

Related Story   →

Fix: HTML5 Video not playing when deployed to azure

A post on how to playback HTML5 video when published to Azure.